Gift Aid FAQ

Gift Aid Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Donate extra 25% without any extra cost

Click here to download the Gift Aid declaration form. Sign it and send to our address or email the scan copy to

If you’re a UK taxpayer, Gift Aid increases the value of your charity donations by allowing charities to reclaim the basic rate of tax on your gift at no extra cost to you. That’s a whopping 25p for every £1 you give.

If you’re a UK taxpayer, add Gift Aid whenever you make a donation and the charity can reclaim the basic rate of tax on your gift – that’s a whopping 25p for every £1 you give. Higher rate tax payers can claim additional tax benefits for donations they make t

To qualify for Gift Aid, you must pay an amount of UK tax (income tax and/or capital gains tax), which is equal to, or more than, the amount we will reclaim in the tax year (currently 25p for every £1 you donate).

The declaration gives VTSUK (JETUK) the right to reclaim the tax from HMRC on your donations. By making the Gift Aid declaration, you are confirming that you are happy for us to do this.

It doesn’t cost you a penny! Making a Gift Aid declaration simply ensures that if you choose to join or donate, we can currently claim 25p* in tax relief for every £1 you give.
* For any gift aided donations made before 6th April 2008, you can claim back 28p.

You need to make a Gift Aid declaration for the charity to claim. You usually do this by filling in a form – contact us at if you haven’t got one.
You must give a declaration to the charity you want to donate to through Gift Aid.
You can include all donations from the last 4 years. Tell the charity about any tax years where you didn’t pay enough tax.

If your employer, company or personal pension provider runs a Payroll Giving scheme, you can donate straight from your wages or pension. This happens before tax is deducted from your income.
Ask your employer or pension provider if they run a Payroll Giving scheme.
You can’t donate to a community amateur sports club (CASC) through Payroll Giving.
The tax relief you get depends on the rate of tax you pay. To donate £1, you pay:
♦ 80p if you are a lower rate taxpayer
♦ 60p if you are a higher rate taxpayer
♦ 55p if you are an additional rate taxpayer

Look at papers relating to the monies paid to you. Savings/bank accounts normally deduct tax at source so a bank statement will normally show if tax has been deducted. Individual share dividend certificates also show where tax has been deducted.

If you have a Family membership and your partner pays tax then he/she can tick the Gift Aid box provided that the membership is paid either from your partner’s account or from a jointly held or named account.

As a pensioner you will receive a P60 each year, keep this safe, it will show any tax deductions.

You are usually aware if you pay capital gains tax, as you would have had to declare it. This would have been declared by yourself or by your accountant/financial advisor.

Yes – the subscription will qualify if it is made by a parent or legal guardian on behalf of a child under the age of 18.

Not if you are a standard rate tax payer and do not receive a tax return from HM Revenue & Customs. However, if you do receive a tax return, you must declare the information.

Yes. We can claim Gift Aid retrospectively for up to four years. This means that if you make a declaration today, we can reclaim tax on the eligible subscriptions and donations you have made in the past four years, so long as you have paid enough tax to cover the total amount we are reclaiming. Make a declaration today and allow the support you’ve already given to VTSUK go even further!

If you normally give via CAF, the tax has already been reclaimed. However, please fill in the declaration anyway so that any separate donations you might make are tax effective as well.

Yes. If, for any reason, you decide that your gift should not be included in Gift Aid perhaps you realise that you will not pay enough tax to cover the tax reclaimed by us then simply email us on and we will amend your record to reflect this.

Yes. Completing a Gift Aid declaration does not put you under any obligation to give again. It merely ensures that we can reclaim tax on the donations that you have already made and any you may give in the future, so that your gifts go further at no extra cost.

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate, but that is still worth 25% extra on your donations to us, so please provide us with a declaration anyway.
If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on the total (gross) value of your donation to VTSUK. You can make this claim on your Self -assessment tax return if you were sent one. We would suggest speaking to your accountant if you would like to do this.

Email us on Or please visit: for more information about Gift Aid.
More information can be found by on the Self – Assessment section of the HMRC website.

What Beneficiaries / Volunteers think about us